Oakwood P.S. History
Oakwood has Roots that Reach!
Oakwood Public School was built in 1952 as a Kindergarten to Grade 8 school with fourteen classrooms. It served the needs of the growing population in the Forrester subdivision, known to Oakville residents as Forrester's Bush on the west bank of the Sixteen Mile Creek. Grade 7 and 8 students from other schools came to Oakwood for Shop and Home Economics in the late sixties.
Population growth made it necessary to build on East Wing of seven classrooms in 1954. In 1969, two classrooms were combined to form our present day library. in 1983 Oakwood became a Junior School, serving students from Kindergarten to Grade 5. A new creative playground was built in 2008 thanks to the efforts of parents, community members, staff and students.
Today, Oakwood has a student population of approximately 200 students.
After attending Grade 5 Oakwood, students will continue on to W.H. Morden School for Grades 6, 7 and 8 and then to T.A. Blakelock High School.
Presently, Oakwood School continues to be a small cosmopolitan school whose size and diversity offers a uniquely caring and individual approach to providing quality experiences for children, academically, as well as socially.