Oakwood has Roots that Reach!
Oakwood Public School was built in 1952 as a Kindergarten to Grade 8 school with fourteen classrooms. It served the needs of the growing population in the Forster subdivision, known to Oakville residents as Forster's Bush on the west bank of the Sixteen Mile Creek. Grade 7 and 8 students from other schools came to Oakwood for Shop and Home Economics in the late sixties.
Population growth made it necessary to build on an East Wing of seven classrooms in 1954. In 1969, two classrooms were combined to form our present day library. In 1983, Oakwood was reconfigured to service children from Kindergarten to Grade 5. A new creative playground was built in 2008 thanks to the efforts of parents, community members, staff and students. In 2018, Oakwood Public School, in partnership with Halton Region became a host site to a Ontario Parent-Child Centre, servicing children 0-6 years and their families. For more information, please visit them at www.op-cc.ca.
Presently, Oakwood Public School has a student population of approximately 250 students. After attending Oakwood for Grade 5, students continue on to W.H. Morden School for Grades 6-8 and then to T.A. Blakelock High School. Although there have been many changes since it's inception, Oakwood continues to be a small cosmopolitan school whose size and diversity offers a uniquely caring and individual approach to providing quality experiences for children, academically, as well as socially.